You Are Favored
You are blessed and highly favored!
Daniel 1:9 Now God had brought Daniel into the favor and goodwill of the chief of the eunuchs
Good Success = Hard Work + Wisdom + Favor
- Without hard work and wisdom, if you are favored you will waste it.
- By the time you take hard work and wisdom, and combine it with favor, you will go very far
Favor and goodwill
- Favor will take you further than hard work, wisdom, and skill
- Favor will open doors for you that hard work cannot open
- Favor will cause people in high places to come to you
- Favor will make it possible for you to come before people in high places, but wisdom will teach you what to say when you come before them
The example of Joseph, Genesis 40
Joseph was in prison for a crime he did not do. One of his fellow prisoners was about to be released. In Gen 40:14, Joseph said to him, “remember me when it is well with you, and please show kindness to me; make mention of me to Pharaoh, and get me out of this house”. But as to be expected, the butler forgot all about Joseph.
When even your best friend forgets about you, God remembers you
The example of Esther, Esther 2
In doing a study on Esther, you will not find any reference to the word “God”. Yet we see God’s hand in every aspect of Esther’s life. As was the custom in those times, when it was time for the king to choose a wife, he called all the beautiful women in his kingdom together to compete for this privilege. Reading Esther 2:8-9, for no apparent reason, we see Hegai, one of the King’s chief steward going out of his way to favor Esther. But this was just the beginning for Esther. Everywhere she turned, she found favor, until she finally became the Queen.
In Jesus name, God will favor you. People you do not know will go the extra mile to bless you!
The example of Ruth, Ruth 2
Ruth was a very hard-working young widow, who had committed her life to looking after her old mother-in-law. She “happened” to find work in the farm of a very rich man, who “happened” to be one of her late husband’s relatives. (Note that happen is quoted, because things like this don’t just “happen” …they are orchestrated by God!). I am pretty sure she was not the only woman working hard in the fields of Boaz. However, in Ruth 2:5, when Boaz came to the field, she was the only one he had eyes for. Why was that so? Favor.
In Jesus name, God will favor you. God will position you with people who are in the position to bless you and lift you up
Favor will result in Favoritism: the practice of giving unfair preferential/special treatment to one person or group at the expense of another. This may sound like a bad word … when working against you! But when you are the one on the receiving end, it is a good word. Esther was given preferential treatment (Esther 2). Ruth was given preferential treatment (Ruth 2). The four young men were given preferential treatment (Daniel 1). Have you ever been given preferential treatment? Have you ever wished you were the one being given preferential treatment?
In Jesus name, God will favor you. Everywhere you turn, you will be at the receiving end of preferential treatment!
Favoritism is human
Whenever humans are involved in making a selection, favoritism always come in … it is impossible to rule. The only way you can rule out favoritism is to use a robot (even that can be skewed by the Programmer).
- In a job interview, you enter the room and smile in a particular way, and the panel members just “fall in love with you”: no matter what you say, you will get that job – favor.
- In the judicial system, when a judge wants to pass a sentence, that judge essentially has the prerogative to determine how many years he/she will pass for a particular crime. If that crime is a maximum of 5 years, the judge can sentence to 3 year, or she can sentence to 5 years. That is favor or lack of favor
- During the promotion review: the person with the loudest voice during that process usually carries along the others. If that person favors you, you will get promoted. If not, you remain where you are
- School award ceremony: there are some awards that are strictly based on academic performance. While there are some based on teachers coming together to vote. Whenever people come together to vote, personal preferences comes to play – favor
- Marking of exams: There are some times when the answer is not 100% accurate. But you look at the process. You have a mental picture of the student. You remember that student’s contributions in your class, and you decide to award that student 100% – favor
- Business – you want to buy a piece of land. You bid the same as another; and the seller decides to go for one over the other? Why? Favor.
There are some things your personal hard work will get you, while are there many others you need favor for.
Good Success = Hard Work + Wisdom + Favor
Is there a guaranteed way of always being in a position of favor and goodwill?
- Your family connections can get you into favor; until you have a falling out, and then they can turn against you
- You can buy favor. But that is called bribery and can land you in jail
- You can manipulate someone to earn their favor. After some time they will see through you
- You can pretend to be someone you are not. But the truth always prevails
Looking at the example of Daniel and his pals
- They had no family connection
- They had no money to bribe their way
- They did not care for eye service. In Daniel 3, they showed their disdain for this by preferring to go into Fire!
Family … Bribery … manipulation … pretense … all of these may actually work for a while, but at the end will only take you so far
So, is there a guaranteed way of always being in a position of favor and goodwill?
YES. By being in a position of favor and goodwill with the only One who can control the heart of all men, as stated in Proverbs 21:1, 21 The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.
The starting point for this is to make sure you are a Child of God. God made everyone on earth. But not everyone He made is His child. John 1:12,13 states, But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Have you received the right (i.e. the power) to call yourself the child of God? This only comes about through faith in Jesus as Savior and Lord. Once that has been settled, the rest becomes easy.
Again, is there a guaranteed way of always being in a position of favor and goodwill?
Matthew 6:33 say, But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. “All these things” refers to ALL THESE THINGS! Everything you may ever desire is included. And God is here saying, if you put Him 1st, He will add “all these things” as a bonus!
And one way of putting God 1st is to always asking this question, “What Would Jesus Do (WWJD) if He were in this position?” Then just do it!
- On a date with my girlfriend, WWJD? Would He “pet” her as I am desirous of doing?
- In my marriage, WWJD? Would he be rude when talk his spouse as I so often do?
- In my office, WWJD? Would Jesus spend this much (extra) time on break if he were working in this office?
- In my comportment, WWJD? Would Jesus put on these type of (scanty) clothes if he were in my shoes?
- In my finances, WWJD? Would Jesus spend more money on coffee than on the things of his Father in Heaven?
- In preparing for that exam, WWJD? Would he spend more time Netflixing than studying?
If you go out of your way to put God 1st, God will go out of His way to put you 1st
The only way you can be guaranteed to be in a position of favor and goodwill everywhere you turn is by being in favor and goodwill with the only One who can control the hearts of all men! Find out what He would do if He were in your shoes; and then just do it!
Other Sermons In This Series
September 09, 2018
August 05, 2018
August 26, 2018